Sunday, June 21, 2009

Moving right along...

Well, it seems I've been a very bad girl yet again and gone months without posting. Not that anyone's reading this anyways.... (achem. yes, thats me fishing for comments.) But, one thing i've learned in the past year of this travel adventure I've been on is to not beat myself up about anything, and to just keep going forwards without hesitation. So, here's another entry, or few entries even, typed up as I sit on a Boeing 737, twenty thousand feet above Fiji, headed to VanTown...


just a normal night spent at e55 where Kayla works

These last 3 months have been both dull and full of insane adventures. Unexciting because, as you know, I was basically living an oh-so-normal life in Melbourne, with my husband, house, car, dog, and two and a half kids. Achem. I mean, my apartment and job. Life was pretty much as it would be in Montreal, lacking only the comfortable framework of my life there; all the references I have for who & where I am in my life. And I absolutely loved it.

me at work in my little uniform!

My shifts at the deli never started before 9am or ended later than 6pm, my coworkers were a hilarious mixed bag of aussies and frenchies, and I got to discover some delicious french cheeses and other snacks. I think I was averaging about 4 mini quiches and pies a week, all for free!

A band at BarOpen, my nunnery mates in my kitchen...

After work I'd hang out with my AMAZINGLY fun and lovely housemates or head over to fitzroy to play spot-the-hipster and have chats/drinks/music with my hostel buds and other new and old friends. I was happy as a pig in something it likes to be in. My body on the other hand wasn't happy, but sometimes, my darlings, needs must.

An aussie rules football match (47,000 in attendance!) More music nights at the nunnery

My life was filled with all kinds of happy nights and days: footie matches, tons and tons and tons of coffee at one after another 'best' café in melbourne (thank you alex!!) Visiting arts factory friends (on that note, apologies to my wonderful housemates who were endlessly hospitable to my neverending flow of visitors) music sessions with the Irish, nightime visits to the playground next door, tri-weekly-four-dollars-Bimbos pizzas.

..33000 feet. Distance to destination: 4615 miles...


My bed.... sigh!

Then the nights and days got much too chilly, and my lovely bed with its crispy cold sheets wasn't quite so inviting anymore. One day while Grant was visiting, we sat down to work out our respective budgets and all that other oh so crucial nonsense. I then discovered that my plan to work hard and save up money for a trip to Asia in august was completely unfeasible given the unfortunate relationship between how much money I was making vs. spending. Then I noticed how much it felt like autumn in Montreal. Then I started to miss home. Then I got invited to a very good friend's wedding in canada in august. Then I learned of the september '09 birth of my very first nephew ever. Well. Then All Signs Pointed to "Go Home!!"

So I gave notice at work, and booked my flight to Byron. ;)

leaving Melbourne at 7am, destination: ballina airport...

No comments: